FAQ

Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a life-threatening disorder that causes severe damage to the lungs and digestive system. People with CF inherit a defective gene that causes a buildup of thick mucus in the lungs, pancreas, and other organs.

01 /
What is Cystic Fibrosis?

Approximately 30,000 children and adults have Cystic Fibrosis in the United States. There are about 1,000 new cases diagnosed each year. An additional 10 million (about 1 in every 31 Americans) are carriers of the defective CF gene.

02 /
How many people are affected by CF?
04 /

It's easy to get involved! Check our website and Facebook page throughout the year for exciting opportunities to help raise awareness and fight for a cure!

What can I do to help?

CF is a genetic disease inherited from the genes of parents. To have CF people must inherit two copies of the defective CF gene. Both parents must be carriers of the defective gene in order to pass it on to their child. When two CF carriers have a child, there is a 25% chance the child will have CF, a 50% chance the child will be a carrier of CF, and a 25% chance the child will not be a carrier of CF or have it.

03 /
How do people get CF?
0
CNCF Logo

© 2019 CNCF Lincoln. Proudly created